I spent the previous week working on the architecture of the qemu port. I made an attempt to dive into the internals of memory mapping for armv8. And then formulated an initial memory map structure for the armv8 port. After that I moved into developing some code. The most challenging aspect of this was moving to and fro between the qemu-armv7 existing port and the foundation-armv8 patches (now depreciated) of chromium and extracting the required modifications. My current work is building on qemu-armv7 taking inspiration on some aspects from the foundation armv8 which cater to the alterations required for 64-bit.
I then moved onto developing the default mem_uart which would be used in our emulation. After writing up a backbone for this new port, Marc suggested I push to gerrit and seek some reviews on it there. This was an important change from the development strategy I followed last year, when I did all the development locally and then pushed the end results to gerrit. This year, I would be following a more dynamic approach, with a continuos review-and-modify development cycle.
My plan for this week involves starting to build the firmware written thus far. I will look to load the built firmware in qemu and try getting some output on the console and finally get qemu-debug up and running.