During week 3 I worked on integrating bios_extract tool. I did analysis of code, understood it a bit and thought: “Nice, it should be fast and easy, I just need to do few changes”. Was it? Not completely.
After my analysis I knew that I need to do three things:
- change main function to a function which I could invoke from GUI
- redirect logs to GUI
- make it possible to select output directory for extracted individual modules
I implemented it and decided that best solution will be to pack object files to static library. I compiled it and linked with my app, then I tried to extract a BIOS image and – BAM! – segmentation fault. Hmm, I did not change anything in extraction logic, so where I messed up? I started reverting my changes – segfault, segfault, segfault. I reverted almost all changes – still segfault. I downloaded bios_extract again and tried to first create object files from unchanged code, then build standard bios_extract app and apply my changes one by one. I compiled without any changes, tried to run bios_extract and… segmentation fault. I tried to compile with provided Makefile – it worked. Whoops, I missed checking Makefile content. This caught my attention:
CFLAGS ?= -g -fpack-struct -Wall -O0
fpack-struct? What is this sorcery? I googled it. Aha! Got you! This compiler flag packs all structure members together without holes, so structure alignment is not applied. Now it was obvious why I had segmentation faults, even if code was the same it worked differently because of different spaces between structure members. From this moment it was fast and easy 🙂
So, bios_extract is already integrated, it is possible to select rom file, select output directory and extract submodules there. Of course bios_extract log output is redirected to GUI. This is good, I can use rest of the week to work on libflashrom, my SOIC clip did not arrive yet, so I am still not able to test operation related functions, but already have feedback about my modifications applied to previously existing libflashrom patch, so I can start improving it – big thanks for review!