What have you been up to these past few weeks?
My facetious alter ego, I must admit I sinned, I strayed oh so much from my original timeline. (Quite obvious if you read the previous posts)
Since my last post I mainly kept focusing on the region_device API, I attempted to go through with my week #3 plan to continue the phasing out of rdev_mmap_full() from the selfload code (described in previous post).
I think I overestimated what I could accomplish regarding that project, I tried to modify the current lzma API used inside to coreboot to make it possible to easily load each chunk of data from memory/chip and decompress it gradually.
Theoretically it shouldn’t be too difficult, in practice the decompression code is particularly nasty and it seems it is a customised version of the LZMA SDK code.
I, not so quickly, realised that I didn’t have the time to delve into that, so I momentarily dropped the idea. (It could be a nice project to do after the GSOC ends.)
I also spent a chunk of my time in porting the time stamps reading functionality from the cbmem utility into the coreinfo payload (commit).
It is now possible to read how much time the coreboot boot sequence takes without having a working OS environment.
I needed to measure if there had been any boot time improvements after the rdev_mmap_full commit. (Still haven’t got around to doing that though…)
What are you working on now then?
I’m currently working on porting the region_device API from coreboot to libpayload, meanwhile replacing all the functionality that was provided by its predecessor: cbfs_media.
Today I finished (in before my code has to be reworked completely ) replacing the old api inside libpayload and started converting the only payload that used cbfs_media: depthcharge, the payload used to boot ChromeOS.
Hopefully it will be a painless process.
So, after I finish these current patch (possibly for the weekend), I need to re-focus my attention on my actual timeline.
I plan to test the current FILO master branch to check for possible problems and show-stoppers before an eventual new release in the (near?) future.
It would be quite helpful in that the current stable is not stable at all, it doesn’t even compile and neither does the master tag (unless you apply this patch which is still pending approval).
It would also be the first release that includes the new flashupdate command and would allow for some interesting things to be done (i.e. path to the recovery from a bad coreboot flash/configuration).
Furthermore I would like to get the SerialICE firmware-side code to be merged into the main coreboot codebase (commit), so I plan to work out the current problems with the time that I still have at my disposal. (Uh, sounds a bit cliche’ by now)
See you next
week time! (Just to be on the safe side 🙂 )